“Trees are the key to our survival. They came before us and we have used, abused and loved them for thousands of years. They have provided our sustenance – food, shelter, medicine and the air we breathe…. We need to find new ways of living happily with them as cultural, spiritual and emotional companions as well as for ecological reasons.” (From ‘In a Nutshell’, written by Neil Sinden for Common Ground (1989)
There are several long-standing events around the country that celebrate trees and all the benefits they bring us including Apple Day, Tree Dressing day and National Tree Week. Here we will explore these celebrations in more detail to see if we can bring them to Dorchester to celebrate our rich heritage of trees in the town.
We would love to hear your thoughts about arranging more tree-based celebrations in Dorchester. Please share your ideas and suggestions in the ‘Comments’ box below. Thank you.
Here are some more tree-based events in and around Dorchester that you might like to get involved with during 2021:
- National Hedgerow Week – Saturday 29th May to Sunday 6th June 2021, the first time it has been held in the UK.
- Apple Day – 21st October, usually celebrated in the Heritage Orchard at Poundbury.
- Tree Charter Day – Saturday 27th November 2021, the first day of National Tree Week.
- National Tree Week – Saturday 27th November to Sunday 5th December 2021
- Tree Dressing Day – usually celebrated on the first weekend in December.
More details of these events will be posted near the time – watch this space!